Below are some changes happened in the Canadian Education System in the year 2023
- From 10 August 2023, IELTS Academic test takers applying for SDS will be considered on their overall English language proficiency rather than their Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening skills.
- If you’re applying after the 10th of August, all you need is an overall band score of 6 on IELTS Academic.
- If you applied to SDS with IELTS Academic before 10th August, you would need IELTS 6.0 in each skill (Speaking, Writing, Reading and Listening).
- If you’re applying with IELTS General Training, you will need a 6.0 in each skill, before and after 10th August.
- You can apply to SDS with IELTS Academic or General Training test scores up to 2 years old. This means you can also use test scores received before 10th August to apply to SDS after the changes went live on 10th August. It’s easy with IELTS!
Cost of Living Requirement Increased for International Students
The IRCC has announced an increase in the cost-of-living requirement for study permit applicants, with effect from January 1, 2024. Canadian Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced on December 7, 2023, that the new cost-of-living requirement for a single study permit applicant will be $20,635, in addition to first-year tuition and travel costs.
Canadian Immigration Minister provided updates on 3 temporary policies impacting international students
Firstly, the waiver on the 20-hour-per-week off-campus work limit will extend until April 30, 2024, offering flexibility for students and applicants.
Secondly, the facilitative measure allowing online study time to count toward a post-graduation work permit will continue for students beginning their programs before September 1, 2024.
Also, the temporary policy granting an additional 18-month work permit to post-graduation work permit holders, responding to pandemic-related labor market disruptions, will not be further extended beyond December 31, 2023.
Canada has extended the transition period for distance learning measures to December 2023
The Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has announced the extension of the distance learning requirements originally introduced during the COVID-19 pandemic. Under the new rule, students who have undertaken less than 50 percent of their PGWP-qualifying studies outside of Canada will remain eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) until December 31, 2023.
IELTS is now offering One Skill Retake
IELTS is now allowing One Skill Retake for IELTS language tests! Hence, now, if you cannot show your full potential in one of the 4 language skills (Listening, Reading, Writing, or Speaking) on test day, the IELTS One Skill Retake can help you get back on track.
You can opt to take IELTS One Skill Retake at any test center where it is being offered.